I love this wonderful new structure by Bernard Tschumi Architects designed in tribute to the historic Battle of Alésia. (I didn't know about this, but I do now... also called the Siege of Alési in September 52 BC when the Romans, commanded by Julius Caesar and cavalry commander Mark Antony fought the Gauls).
A 'very at one with the environment' slatted wooden second skin created to emulate the wooden structures the Romans also filters light as it enters the glass structure and casts chevron patterned shadows throughout the visitor center. The roof holds an elevated park with views of the battle site.
And the interior is just as spectacular - very modern monastic, concrete and white, contemporary cathedral like. This is my kind of interior architecture and reminds me of the work of Oscar Niemeyer (another of my design heroes)... now he is someone I must do a feature on....


No comments:
Post a Comment