Today's inspiration... the incredible new canteen in Germany's Der SPIEGEL magazine HQ. Designed by the Ippolito Fleitz Group the results are jaw dropping. The uplifting colour palette of monochrome and vibrant yellow (one of my favourite colour combinations) sets the tone and is positively mood enhancing. Then there is the ceiling... formed from 4,230 satin-polished aluminium circles set at differing angles, reflecting the light from within and from the building's water front positioning. Huge dimmable saucer lamps suspend above the black granite tables to ensure that light levels are variable for day and evening use and downlights, and wallwashers intensify the light and the drama further. And lines set into the white terrazzo floor clearly mark out zones within the room.
I find this interior completely spellbinding - 21st Century styling but with a nod to the great Verner Panton (who designed the canteen for Der SPIEGEL in their old building). I wish I had designed this space - it's glamorous, well thought out, exquisitely designed, inspirational... and makes my heart skip a beat.






No comments:
Post a Comment